Fraunhofer-Institut für Siliziumtechnologie ISIT
Prof. Dr. Anton Heuberger, Director
Claus Wacker, Public Relations
- Applied research in microtechnologies
Fields of application
- Environment and transport technologies
- Communication technology
- Automotive engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Service offer to enterprises from diverse industrial sectors: design, simulation and technical realisation of components, systems and assembly processes in close collaboration with the customer; technology transfer to the customer
- SMEs can utilise the competencies of the institutes to develop required technological innovations, to test and implement them
- The cooperation partners ISIT and IZET offer additional services especially to young companies: availability of office and laboratory space, support in the assessment of market opportunities of new products, assistance in drawing-up marketing concepts, as well as financing consultancy
Fields of activity:
- IC Technologies
- Microsystems - MEMs
- Biotechnical microsystems
- Design of integrated circuits and microsystems
- Chemical-mechanical polishing (CMP)
- Assembly and packaging technology for microsystems, sensors and multichip modules
- Quality and reliability of microelectronic assemblies
- Lithium storage batteries with solid state electrolytes
- 58 Fraunhofer Institutes in Germany and further institutes worldwide
- Co-operations with the industry and public authorities worldwide
Fraunhofer ISIT - research and production in one location
Fraunhofer ISIT develops and manufactures components in microelectronics and microsystems technology from the first design including system simulation via prototyping, sampling through to serial production. These miniature components such as valves and deflection mirrors often measure just a fraction of a millimetre in size and are implemented in medicine, environmental and traffic engineering, communication systems, automotive industry, and mechanical engineering.
Working under contract, ISIT develops these types of components in accordance with customer requirements, also creating the application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) needed for the operation of sensors and actuators. Included in this service is the integration into the overall microsystem using miniaturised assembly and interconnection technology.
Together with Vishay Semiconductor Itzehoe GmbH, the institute operates a professional semiconductor production line which is up-to-date in all required quality certifications. The line is used not only for producing microelectronic components (PowerMOS) and microsystems, but also for R&D projects aimed at developing new components and technological processes.
An ISO-9001 certified quality management system serves as the basis for the development, qualification and production of micro-engineered components. Further services offered by the institute are the analysis and development of technology pertaining to the quality and reliability of electronic assemblies as well as packaging and mounting technology for microsystems, sensors and multichip modules. A new activity is the development of advanced power-supply components for electronic systems.